In this week’s episode, CFN Editor-in-Chief Brian McCall and Managing Editor Matt Gaspers discuss the following news items:
- Battles on the Pro-Life Front
- “French Senate Passes Controversial IVF Bill” (CNA, Jan. 25)
- “Judge Allows Student Group’s Abortion Lawsuit to Progress Against Notre Dame” (CNA, Jan. 28)
- Priestly Celibacy in Jeopardy: Professor de Mattei Reveals Portion of Leaked Document
- Renowned Catholic historian and author Roberto de Mattei reveals a portion of the forthcoming post-synodal Apostolic Exhortation of Pope Francis which “several bishops” shared with him.
- According to the leaked text, Pope Francis proposes that “criteria and dispositions be established by the competent authority…to ordain as priests suitable and respected men of the community with a legitimately constituted and stable family, who have had a fruitful permanent diaconate and receive an adequate formation for the priesthood…” — in essence, a reiteration of paragraph 111 from the Amazon Synod final document.
- New Explosive Statement from Archbishop Viganò
- Towards the end of December 2019, Pope Francis accepted the resignation of Cardinal Angelo Sodano as Dean of the College of Cardinals.
- Last week Saturday (Jan. 25, 2020), the Vatican announced the election of a new Dean and Vice-Dean of the Sacred College — Their Eminences Giovanni Battista Re and Leonardo Sandri, respectively — with the approval of Pope Francis.
- According to Archbishop Viganò, Cardinal Sandri — a longtime subordinate and close associate of Cardinal Sodano in the Secretariat of State — is guilty of helping to cover up the crimes of serial abuser Fr. Marcial Maciel (founder of the Legionaries of Christ) under Sodano’s direction.
- Moreover, Viganò alleges that Sandri’s appointment as Vice-Dean “has been prepared ad hoc to pilot the next conclave secundum Franciscum, that is, according to an updated and augmented edition of the St. Gallen Mafia.”
- The continuing rot in the Roman Curia is discussed by Matt Gaspers in his latest article for CFN.
Remember to subscribe to our YouTube channel and stay tuned for more new content!
The post Weekly News Roundup: Pro-Life Battles, Priestly Celibacy in Jeopardy, Archbishop Viganò Speaks Again appeared first on Catholic Family News.